Microsoft Management Console causing problems with some snap ins
- When you try to launch a Microsoft Management Console Snap-in file (.msc file) you receive the error “MMC cannot open the file c:\pathfilename.msc“
Explanation:This is being caused by the remote access server console disconnecting abnormally and causing corruption in the user profiles MMC snap in’s reference file.
Luckily there is a relatively simple solution.
- Click Start > Run
- Type the following:
- Click OK and WAIT until Windows confirms that the dll has been registered successfully.
- Now open Windows Explorer and browse to the following folder:
- Look through the files in this folder and locate the file with the same name as the msc file that appears in the error message.
- Rename the file to filename_old
- Now try to launch your console again and the error should be resolved.
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\MMC
Replace the word username above with your own Windows username